Riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous than a car. On a bike, you are more exposed and lack some of the safety features that are afforded to other vehicles. That does not mean you should retire this iconic ride and get a car. In fact, motorcycles do have some of their own unique safety perks, such as incredibly powerful brakes and obstruction-free vision. To avoid having an accident, it is also helpful to be aware of some of the most common ones that occur, so that you can avoid them.
- A car turns left in front of you. This is the most common motorcycle accident. The driver of a car cannot see you, or misjudges your speed, and turns in front of you at an intersection, thus causing an accident. While drivers should be more aware of their surroundings, you cannot assume that they will look out for you, so drive defensively and look for signs that indicate someone may turn in front of you.
- Hit gravel in a blind corner. This happens on particularly twisted roads. You round a corner and encounter a patch of gravel or sand and wipe out when your front tire makes contact with it. Entering a corner wide and going at a slower pace that gives you more time to react can help avoid this.
- Going too fast on a corner. If it turns out to be an unexpectedly tight corner, this could turn out to be a dangerous accident. Only ride as fast as you can see, so that surprises cannot sneak up on you and endanger your safety.
- A car changes lanes into you. Motorcycles are small and are not always easy for other drivers on the road to see. Another car might veer into your line, not realizing you are there. As a motorcyclist, you have to stay alert to avoid this.
- A car hits you from behind. Fender benders between cars are usually not a big deal, but can be fatal for a motorcyclist. Always pay attention to what may be coming up behind you and try to always have an exit plan. It could save your life.
The Fargo motorcycle accident attorneys at Marquard & Associates are dedicated to pursuing those who are responsible for your accident and will negotiate with insurance companies to secure maximum compensation on your behalf. Our skilled legal team is prepared to go the extra mile in your case.
We serve you on a contingency fee basis, which means you will not pay any attorney fees until we recover financial compensation for you.
Call us today for a free case evaluation at (888) 288-4756.